THING 11: MENTORS
There's something about the word 'mentor' that makes me think of Seann William Scott, Paul Rudd (swoon), Ken Jeong and McLovin LARP'ing.
Aside from that awesome thought, I haven't ever thought about actively seeking my very own big-brother, role model, mentor-type person of whom CPD23 promises me will do the most wonderful things: take an active interest in my career, share pearls of epic wisdom, advice and knowledge or facilitate professional opportunities.
The friends I have found through old and new library jobs seem to already be doing these things without formalising it. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think info-pros are, in their very nature, helpful and advice-giving sharers who are genuinely interested in their/my career. This is kind of the essence of the profession really.
Perhaps in the future once I've embarked on becoming a full-blown professional, and knocked my pseudo-librarian on the head, I will reconsider. It seems especially helpful to have a mentor when doing the charter-ship or otherwise so I'll never say never on this one. Just not yet.
[Edit: I read Jen's post on this and am now am really thinking about certifying too (I don't know why I haven't before...) We have a pretty structured development plan at work and think this might work out quite nicely. Now, to become a member of CILIP! ahem.]
[Edit: I read Jen's post on this and am now am really thinking about certifying too (I don't know why I haven't before...) We have a pretty structured development plan at work and think this might work out quite nicely. Now, to become a member of CILIP! ahem.]
Hi. I've found another cpd blog by someone who certified and is offering advice http://lisainthehealthlibrary.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/thing-10-librarianship-training-options-and-thing-11-mentoring/
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
I'm still pretty indecisive about it, as I don't know if it'd be a waste of time if I seriously consider the masters soon but it'd be great if she writes something a bit more in depth in the future.
DeleteCheers for the heads up!