THING 13: GOOGLE DOCS, DROPBOX & WIKIS
![]() |
| I see this, I see beer... |
The first time I came across Dropbox was when a colleague of mine sent me a link to some photos we'd taken on a visit to the National Art Library. I found it a little complicated (how embarrassing) and would of rather they'd be put on a shared drive somewhere, but I can see the value of this free online storage as much as Google Drive, and after a little playing around with it can't see it being difficult to navigate in the future. It's a bit like the Apple Cloud isn't it? Great for those of us with no external hard-drive to save a back-up too. Last year, all staff were invited to a seminar called Everything you ever wanted to know about Wikipedia but were afraid to ask where we were asked to consider what Wikipedia is ("a knowledge reference, or a powerful means of information dissemination") and how organisations should be working in collaboration with Wikipedia to ensure information is valid and valuable, to promote, to publisise, increase engagement to wider audiences etc. It was also the first time I ever heard the term 'Wikipedian' (in relation to this project) - which in itself is pretty awesome. [EDIT: I recommend catching this if you can: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/stp/workshop/workshops.html#wiki).
So Wikipedia we all know about (pretty dubious, do not by any means cite it in an academic reference!) - a free, public, multi-collaborative and editable hub of all knowledge. But what about in the library? I'm very fortunate to work somewhere which is pretty in tune with technologies: We have not one, but two wikis! The first is a staff-wide wiki (in the style of Wikipedia, and looks a bit like the Library Routes Project one) which is a more informal place to share info, resources, ideas and guides across all teams and departments and of course, it's designed to be collaborative to keep it up-to-date and refined. The other is our very own pbworks Library wiki, which I have to admit is an absolute life-saver - it contains super up-to-date information, guides and trouble-shooting tips - is easy to navigate and holds all the information you'll ever need if faced with a tough enquiry (or just need a quick refresher of training). It's not massively collaborative (there are specific editors for each department within the library, and I am very lucky to be one of them) but encourages feedback and comments so it can be continually improved. It's my go-to guide if I face a problem in a pressured situation (IT problems, normally), if behind the scenes project affect certain aspects of the service (digitisation, for instance) or, wonderfully for me as a relatively new staff member dealing with enquiries, there are cribsheets and thematic pointers for the ever growing e-resources collection. I genuinely don't know what I'd do without it, and how I'd functioned before knowing it's existence!


Maru! Yes! I feel your pain about USB sticks- I had a similar incident with one during my BA, and now I catagorically don't trust them. Ha ha!
ReplyDelete