Tuesday, 30 October 2012

How very frightful...

THING 17: PREZI & SLIDESHARE


I'm quite horrified at the thought I'm only just getting round to posting on Thing 17, when most people have finished.  6 frightful Things to go.

I like PowerPoint as much as I like Comic Sans (not a lot).  I don't tend to use PP for any particular reason - if I'm presenting (which is hardly ever at the moment) I use a PP slideshow for images, and you can't really go far wrong with that.  I remember doing epic PPs at school with the old "1 letter dropping out of cyber space at a time" complete with "type-writer sound effects" and "dissolve".  

As much as I think Prezi is a current breath of fresh air when it comes to (death by) PowerPoint presentations, I feel like it, too, could get relatively tedious over time.  Whilst it's marketed as dynamic! non-linear! exciting! when executed incorrectly (yes, this can happen) it just looks a bit, well, naff.  Much like a fun-fair Waltzer after five goes.  I've only had the chance to sign up and play around (not publish) with Prezi, and it's really damn hard to not make simple stuff look rubbish.  I think if I invested time into it, say if I had an impending presentation and wanted to impress, I might produce something half decent.  But that's another thing that requires time.  I like the fact that you can hone-in on particular things to make the really stand out, and I like the fact that it's visually appealing and really resists the idea of too-much-text.  

Oh crikey; Slideshare.  At first I thought this was just another place to put loads of stuff that others can see and use, but it turns out (like Prezi) it's another presentation tool for those who are !Tech SAVVY! but has an added extra of being embeddable into websites and stuff.  I feel with SSs 'community' aspect and the ability to store lots of stuff it would be more useful for info-pros/libraries.

They're both Flash based though - so how long will that last?

No comments:

Post a Comment