Tuesday, 20 November 2012

You don't know where I'm going, you ask me where I've been

THING 21: PROMOTING YOURSELF IN JOB APPLICATIONS & AT INTERVIEW

So the countdown for the last Things begins.  I'm not a fan of this internal reflection stuff (maybe I should put that below!) so I have to admit I've been putting these Things off. But here we go: 

Part 1: Identifying your strengths; capitalising on your interests

It's a little awkward listing my likes and dislikes when it comes to work.  By awkward I mean, for the things I like I will be basically listing the main characteristics needed for such a sector: organising things/people, perfecting things, discovering new/interesting information, seeing a project through to completion, being set a challenge/something new, being creative, being competitive (!), collecting things, helping people and working with other people.  

Dislikes would include: not knowing enough and working solo.   

So my interests would be "surfing the web", researching stuff, laughing (!) looking at pretty/ugly stuff (art, architecture, historical things), travelling, live music and collecting/discarding.  I also enjoy writing, but have lost all self-confidence in such -  I often have some good ideas for (work) blog posts but am afraid it is not "academic" "well-researched" enough.  I remember I time when I loved reading and making art too, but haven't made the time to do either in quite a while...

I'm still at the beginning with a lot to learn, develop and discover about myself.  I'm trying to use CPD23 as a tool of discovery, and not get bogged down by the fact I don't actually know everything and so long as I keep checking in with myself every once in a while to make sure I'm doing all I can to be who I want to be.  I think the main thing I've learnt about myself here is that I need new and interesting hobbies, I need to make time to be creative (and enjoy myself) and keep striving to find what I'm truely talented in.


Part 2: Applying for a job

This year I went a careers day organised by CPD25 and there was a section towards the end where we were asked to look at our skills, CVs and interviews etc...  I haven't done a proper job interview in nearly 2 years, and I'm not currently on the job hunt. I look over my CV regularly, but I worry that when I "tailor" it, it looses it's depth, and that when it boils down to it I'm just doing it wrong - mainly because I suck at realising my potential and promoting myself and skill-set.  

I like the idea that "your CV is a living thing" - and I try to go back and update every couple of months.  Luckily, we also have annual reviews of performance, where we have to write down what we've done throughout the year and fill the gaps and create goals (SMART objectives) for next year.  I have always tailored my CVs too, but a lot of things have "dropped off" over the years - so I have to admit I don't have a super long CV with everything on it.  I think I will start keeping one for my own record though, a database, perhaps and really analyse what I do and what I do well.  


Part 3: Interviews

As far as job interviews are concerned, I think I'm pretty alright at them.  I know that if I prepare enough (the horrors of going in blind are enough to put me off...) it diffuses my nerves a little, but I haven't applied for a professional role so I think it'll be a totally different experience once I reach the level to do so.  I  make sure I know the job description back-to-front so I can slip in the necessary skills and buzz-words when I'm thinking on my feet during questions.   I aim to waffle less in any future interview (a silence filling thing, that could actually come across as a weakness), take time to answer questions (it's OK to think first) and allow the interviewer time to take it in too.

The awkward questions, like "what are your weaknesses?" etc, I will always re-address and get opinions on every single time.  I'm not so good at asking questions myself, as most of the interviews I've been to have been well prepared themselves so the "daily routine" or "staffing" questions are always answered anyway.  I'd love to know what fail-safe questions you ask at the end of an interview?

Once I get my CILIP membership pack through (yep, you heard that right!) I might use the careers service that's on offer, or ask a recruitment consultant if I need a helping hand.  One of the best pieces of advice I've taken is that if you didn't feel the interview went well, or didn't click with the people, it's OK if you don't get the job.  It's a two-way thing, and you might not have enjoyed working there either.  Also, the Open Cover Letters website is a god-send if you're a bit rusty.  This blog-post I wrote a while back about presenting has some handy tips that could be transferred for interviews: I can't stress enough how important it is to breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment