THING 10: ROUTES INTO LIBRARIANSHIP
I am not a fully fledged librarian yet. Although I have been working in various libraries over the past seven (shocking) years I am still a Library Assistant so I'm only just starting out on my route into librarianship.
However, in order for me to progress within this profession I will need to, at some point, bite the bullet and study for a CILIP accredited course/professional qualification. Ideally I would like to specialise in the future and hone my management skills - the courses offer so much in terms of an overall insight of what library and information work has to offer as a whole, and would help to fill in the blanks and allow me to have a professional voice... It's a lot to think about (especially for the monetary investment) and I would need to weigh up full/part-time study and work, where to study and my main concern is whether it's more desirable to get an MA over a PGDip - please leave comments about this!

Hi Nicola,
ReplyDeleteI don't think the fact you don't have a qualification yet should take anything away from your seven years of work experience - that is a brilliant base and you will have learned so much without realising it probs.
I'm halfway through my Masters p/t (only 1 day per week) and working p/t too - it's been hard (but not *that* hard) and only occasionally have I found myself wondering what on earth I'm doing! It certainly won't guarantee me a job but hopefully will offer a leg-up to being able to reach the next step. If you want to specialise it seems the MA/MSc/PGDip route is tailored for that. Particularly all the management stuff you are taught (the UWE course is v. managementy). A PGDip is still CILIP accredited so I reckon teamed with your work experience it would be just as desirable as the MA. Are employers really looking that closely at the exact qualification anymore?
Hmm, so, I don't really know what this comment is trying to say. Just a kind of don't give up hope and you're clearly awesome at what you do so any decision you make will be the right one for you.
Hey Hilary,
DeleteThanks for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment!
I did a bit of snooping round your blog and read about your first year at library school (http://beeinthelibrary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/library-school-1-year-down-1-to-go.html) and would have to agree with you, that one of the main reasons I would chose to do a profesh qual. would be to ensure that I wouldn't get stuck as a library assistant for the rest of my life... I guess I have a lot to think about, but I always feel a little bit more relieved to read others experiences doing part-time study alongside work relatively do-able - so I appreciate your honest words about it! And who really knows what employers are truly after anyway...
Good luck with your second year and beyond!